ILGISA Scholarship Fund
2021 Scholarship Award Winner: Joel Porterfield, City of St. Charles
The Illinois GIS Association (ILGISA) has established the ILGISA Scholarship Fund to help students working toward a degree in Geography, GIS, or related discipline. This scholarship is funded through donations from private individuals, organizations, and other funding activities of ILGISA. One scholarship in the amount of $1,000 will be distributed annually at the ILGISA Conference.
Applications shall be submitted to the ILGISA Education Committee using the proper form. All applications must be typed and all application materials (i.e. letter of recommendation) must be submitted together in order for the application to be considered.
- Applicants must be accepted or enrolled in a full or part-time curriculum that will result in a diploma at an accredited two or four-year college or university in the United States.
- Applicants must be registered as a member or student member of ILGISA before the application deadline of July 30, 2021.
- Applicants receiving their degree before the submission deadline will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Applications for the ILGISA Scholarship shall include the following documents in order to be considered:
- The scholarship recipient will receive the award after providing confirmation of registration for the current or next term to the ILGISA Executive Director.
- The award will be presented in the form of a check made out to the winner.
- The recipient will be notified by September 17 following the submission deadline. The recipient will be acknowledged on the ILGISA website and at the ILGISA Conference in October. The recipient will also be awarded a complimentary registration to the ILGISA Conference where the award will be presented.
Valid applications for the ILGISA Scholarship will be reviewed by the ILGISA Education Committee. The ILGISA Education Committee will make recommendations about award recipients to the ILGISA Board of Directors. The ILGISA Board of Directors will make the final decision on the winner of the ILGISA Scholarship. The decision of the ILGISA Board of Directors is final.
Applications will be judged according to the following criteria:
- 30% academic record
- 30% extracurriculars & clubs (ILGISA membership, conference participation, publications, community service, work experience, volunteer, or academic projects, etc.)
- 30% applicant's statement
- 10% letter of recommendation
If the situation warrants, the ILGISA Board of Directors can choose to award no scholarships.