As a result of these conversations we have decided to simplify the submission guidelines for the GeoTalk Blog based on two reasons;
1. A Blog is not simply a digital version of a publication. The original title “web-log” was intended to be an online diary of sorts. The format is normally casual and conversational. Longer articles are better suited to professional peer-reviewed journals. We knew that some blog articles will be used for ILGISA communication, not just GIS project reports.
2. We want article submissions! Long guidelines inhibit submissions. This may be the most controversial reason. It is very difficult to get all of our wonderful members to write about their jobs. I understand, it seems…. arrogant. The Outreach Committee would rather see 10 ‘boastful articles’ about successful GIS projects rather than just a committee report from the Finance Chairman (sorry Jason). Besides, our membership is gracious and humble. I hardly see that becoming a problem.
- Author Name & Contact
- Blog Post Title
- Text - ½ page to 2 pages max
- Inserts: Pictures, Maps, Links, Screencaptures OK
- Citations/Acknowledgements (if needed)
Of Course, upon submission, all content will be editorially reviewed by the ILGISA Outreach Committee prior to publication on the Blog. We will try our best to lay out the article as best we can.
At the Annual Conference next month, I will be imploring all the speakers to write ‘a short article’ about their topics of discussion. Look for me, I will have a gift for anyone who agrees to submit.
(Outreach Committee Chairman)