VIEW JOB POSTINGS
GIS and Planning Assistant, Upper Mississippi River Basin Association (UMBRA)
The Upper Mississippi River Basin Association (UMRBA) is seeking a detail-oriented individual for an interagency oil spill contingency planning and mapping effort. Ongoing since 1992, the Inland Sensitivity Atlas project covers the six states of US EPA Region 5 (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI) and adjacent portions of other states. Having produced initial sensitivity maps for the entire area, the project is now focused on updating and enhancing this library of maps, and applying the Atlas to related planning efforts. The project is a team effort led by
US EPA in collaboration with UMRBA and the Great Lakes Commission. Additional project information is available at: www.umrba.org/isa.htm.
The GIS and Planning Assistant will participate in the production of digital atlases and spill contingency plans. The Assistant will update data on environmental, economic, and cultural resources, as well as potential spill sources, using a variety of acquisition and verification techniques. Other duties include updating spill response strategies and reference documents, general coordination assistance, and participation in related meetings.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Term of Employment: Through September 30, 2014
This is a temporary position. Extension beyond 9/30/14 is funding-contingent.
Wage Range: $16.00 to $18.00 per hour
Benefits: Paid leave (available after 3 months of service), paid holidays, and 403(b) retirement plan (employee contributions only)
Application Deadline: November 15, 2013
- Undergraduate degree or substantial coursework in geography, natural resources, planning, public health, public policy, or related fields.
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in GIS, word processing, and data management applications, including ESRI ArcGIS, Microsoft Access, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word. Familiarity with TerraGo GeoPDF production software is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet scheduled deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and take on additional responsibilities over time.
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and resolve information technology problems.
- Some familiarity with natural resource and chemical contaminant issues is desired.
Submit a resume, brief writing sample, and map sample to:
Dave Hokanson, Water Quality Program Director
Upper Mississippi River Basin Association
408 St. Peter Street, Suite 415
St. Paul, MN 55102
Email applications are welcome. Please submit resume, writing sample, and map sample as attachments to your email. All requested materials must be received for your application to be considered complete.
Back to the top
Assistant Analyst (RA056), Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
Company/Agency: Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
Job Category: Assistant
Experience Required: 0-2 years experience
Salary Range: Entry Level
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire an Assistant Analyst for the Research & Analysis Division. CMAP is the official regional planning organization for the northeastern Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will. CMAP developed and now leads the implementation of GO TO 2040, metropolitan Chicago's first comprehensive regional plan in more than 100 years. To address anticipated population growth of more than 2 million new residents, GO TO 2040 establishes coordinated strategies that help the region’s 284 communities address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. See www.cmap.illinois.gov for more information. CMAP serves as the authoritative source for regional data collection, exchange, dissemination, analysis, evaluation, forecasting, and modeling. These activities are critical to providing CMAP and its partners with objective, definitive assessments of current and future regional conditions. Accordingly, CMAP is committed to maintaining a staff of highly qualified professional technicians, analysts, and modelers to secure relevant data using state-of-the art analytical tools.
This position will be responsible for the collection, preparation, analysis, and mapping of data related to agency research and analysis activities.
Examples of projects include: interpreting digital aerial imagery used in preparing the regional land use inventory, geocoding transportation performance data for use in preparing planning indicators and improving the spatial level-of-service accuracy of transportation modeling networks. These and other projects assigned are critical to maintaining the quality and integrity of CMAP planning datasets. In addition, assignments will be given that contribute to CMAP’s capacity to respond to regular requests for data and information by staff and regional planning partners. These include preparation of maps and data that support CMAP’s Local Technical Assistance Program and Transportation Improvement Program, as well as ad-hoc requests from the Executive Office and Policy Development staff. Additional assignments include contributing to implementation of CMAP’s GO TO 2040 Regional Comprehensive Plan by assisting in the tracking of specific regional planning indicators.
• Identify, collect and prepare datasets for urban planning analysis and evaluation
• Prepare computer procedures to automate analyses and evaluations
• Interpret and summarize analysis and evaluation results
• Conduct quality control and quality assurance on methods and procedures
• Prepare analysis documentation, summary results and visualization products
• Thoroughly document work products for use by other CMAP staff
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate must have strong technical skills in managing and processing large urban datasets to support urban planning analysis and evaluation. Familiarity with and an interest in applying data resources to urban planning and policy analysis is desired. In particular, a successful candidate must demonstrate:
• Knowledge of Census and other government data products
• Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and database management software
• Understanding of fundamental methods of quantitative analysis in urban planning
• Understanding of data management and processing techniques
Education and Experience
A master’s degree in a social science discipline or equivalent with emphasis on quantitative analysis is preferred. A bachelor’s degree with progressive professional experience is acceptable. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in application of urban datasets to public policy analysis.
Send your resume, cover letter with contact information and Job Code: RA056
CMAP: Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
233 S. Wacker Drive, Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60606
Position open until filled. The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to the top
Sr. GIS Technician, Illinois American Water Company
Sr. GIS Technician Job Opportunity with Illinois American Water Company
Location: Belleville, Illinois
Primary Role: Responsible for gathering, converting, analyzing, and reporting of GIS data; preparing and updating maps and exhibits with GIS data sets; maintaining utility asset records; and using GIS data, applications and tools to identify and solve problems for the engineering and operations departments.
Education: Associate's degree or equivalent course work at a technical or vocational school, in geographic information systems, geography, planning, landscape architecture, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field.
Knowledge: Thorough understanding of GIS software, geocoding techniques, data model formats, and data conversion practices.
Experience: At least 5 years experience in analytical and development functions of integrated GIS applications, preferably in a utility environment.
Apply to amwater.com
Back to the top
Part-Time GIS Coordinator, Village of Barrington, IL
The GIS Coordinator position requires strong skill sets in GIS that draw from experience in both municipal GIS and data analysis. Experience with local government, planning, census data, and/or engineering is helpful in the responsibilities associated with the position. This position requires strong organizational, communication and problem-solving skills as well as independent goal-setting, creativity, and interest in local government matters.
The successful candidate will be called upon to provide training and to help others within the organization. The software currently being used includes ArcExplorer, ArcServer, ArcInfo, ArcView, Microsoft Access and Excel. The ideal candidate will also have the capability and initiative to learn Flex, Silverlight, and/or other API’s and have some background in web programming and enterprise GIS systems. IT support, configuration, and hosting services are provided by a third party.
Additionally, database design and management skills are desirable as the Village is always acquiring new data. Familiarity with open-source database and mapping tools are also a plus for this position as the Village is constantly seeking new ways to manage and visualize datasets. General cartography and map production skills in both vector and raster formats and good design and communication skills are necessary. The GIS professional in this position will need to be self-sufficient.
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, or other closely related field with strong GIS coursework, and two or more years of progressively responsible professional experience as a GIS technician or Coordinator or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. A background in database/computer science, urban planning, or engineering is desirable. Salary range, DOQ: $27.87-$39.19/hour with modified benefit package, which includes pro-rated holiday pay and IMRF participation.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of background check, drug screen, and physical. Qualified individuals interested in being considered for the position should send cover letter and resume to:
Village of Barrington
200 S. Hough Street
Barrington, IL 60010
Fax: (847) 381-7506
Tel: (847) 304-3415
Back to the top
GIS/Forestry, Park District of Oak Park
Job Title: GIS/Forestry (Temporary Position)
Department: Buildings and Grounds
Location: Various parks and facillities throughout the Community
Reports to: Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds
The Park District of Oak Park is seeking a GIS/Forestry temporary staff member. The project will create a comprehensive inventory of trees on all Park District and designated properties. Buy utilizing available maps and surveys, maps of each park will be created showing the trees relative locations and coordinates. Project includes an estimated 3,000 trees located in 30 different sites.
Finished product will include:
- A GIS/GPS detail survey of trees at each site, detailing via corrdinates the precise location of each tree. Maps are to show each tree with an index number and coordinates. The finished survey will be printed out as a hard copy and also in disc format. All printing and disc will be paid for by the Park District and will be the exclusive property of the Park District.
- A cooresponding document will be a site list for each park that provides specific data for each tree that will include site, gps corrdinates per tree, species (if possible, variety), diameter/size, relative health and any specific data relating to hazards such as hollows, diseases, weaknesses or other potential concerns. Memorial trees must be listed with a distinguishing detail and include name of dedication.
- A comprehensive list of the tree population as a whole that details number of trees of each given species, with percentage of the number of trees of any given species included in the total.
Intern will teach and provide written instructions to the park maintenance staff regarding the process of entering and removing trees from the survey. The survey is to be considered a living document that can be adjusted.
This project may or may not include trees located on the grounds of Oak Park School District 97.
Knowledge, Skill and Work Experience
- Currently working in the field or towards an arboriculture degree
- Certified arborist
- Ability to identify trees and diseases
- Organized and able to coordinate multiple activities
- Ability to asses and solve problems as they arise and be able to perform tasks without constant supervision
- Knowlege, experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office and computer applications
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Ability to work indepedently without constant supervision
- Ability to present written and verbal ideas and recommendations in a concise manner
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and/or written instructions efficiently and effectively
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate well with others
- Ability to follow safety guidelines and exercise judgement in all aspects of responsibility
- Frequent walking, standing, reaching, bending
Will be exposed to occassional inclement weather including heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, ice and wind
Hours and Compensation
- The schedule is flexible based on your availability. Completion of project by October 30. 2013
- $10.00 - $12.00 per hour
Apply online at www.pdop.org
Back to the top
GIS Cartographer, CTR Planning/GIS department
The CTR Planning/GIS department is seeking a lead Cartographer to help with GIS design and creation of maps and data for the City of Chicago Department of Water Management. CTR works with the Department of Water Management to design and construct new main installation and maintain their ~9000 combined miles of water and sewer distribution system.
• 5-10 years of mapping experience using GIS and ESRI Desktop softwares and mapping tools.
• 5+ years experience managing tasks & project teams
• Previous experience with engineering, utility, and water/wastewater is preferred.
• Strong cartographic/data management, connectivity, & query understanding
• Understanding of reporting techniques
• Ability to navigate in a multi-disciplined environment and function in a fluid team environment
• Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
• Demonstrate strong attention to detail and basic analytical skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; effectively communicate with all levels of co-workers, clients, and other external contacts.
• Self-motivated and able to work well independently and in team settings.
• Minimum 4-year College Degree in GIS, Geography, or related field.
• Candidates with a degree in other fields such as graphic design or architecture will be considered provided they possess the necessary work experience and have coursework in GIS and cartography or GISP certification.
• Required- ESRI ArcMap, ArcToolbox, Model Builder, Crystal Reports, familiarity with Bentley Microstation, Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Access)
• Recommended – Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCad, Google Maps API
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead role in design and organization of map production assignments, often involving 2 to 5 additional staff resources.
• Creation of ad hoc maps
• Development and maintenance of map, layer, and symbology standards
• Development of base maps and map service symbology
• Development of map QC standards and workflow
Please provide additional references and exhibits of past work
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and exhibits of past work to:
Melanie Staggers, CTR
Back to the top
Lead GIS Cartographer, Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc.
Position is located in Chicago
Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. is an Engineering & Architecture professional full service consulting firm offering a full spectrum of engineering design services including civil, construction, electrical, environmental, mechanical, and structural as well as construction management services and complementary architectural services. These services are provided across multiple markets including but not limited to Aviation, Construction, Education, Energy, Healthcare, Transportation and Water Waste/Water.
We are searching for a Lead Cartographer to perform GIS design and creation of maps and data. The position requires a Bachelor Degree in GIS, geography or a relevant field. In addition, the position require 5-10 years of mapping experience using GIS and ESRI Desktop software and mapping tools, along with 5+ years’ experience managing tasks and project teams. Strong cartographic/data management, connectivity and query understanding is required. Experience with engineering, utility, and water/wastewater is preferred. Candidates will be expected to provide evidence of past project work.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
· Assume lead role in design and organization of map production assignments, often involving 2-5 additional staff resources;
· Create ad hoc maps;
· Develop and maintain map, layer and symbology standards;
· Develop base maps and map service symbology;
· Develop map QC standards and workflow;
· Understanding of reporting techniques;
· Ability to navigate in a multi-disciplined environment and function in a fluid team environment;
· Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines;
· Demonstrate strong attention to detail and basic analytical skills;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must for effective communication with all levels of co-workers, clients and other external contacts;
· Self-motivated and able to work well independently as well as in team settings.
Minimal Education and Experience:
· Bachelor Degree in GIS, geography or relevant discipline;
· Candidates with a degree in other fields such as graphic design or architecture will be considered provided they possess the necessary work experience and have coursework in GIS and cartography or GISP certification;
· 5-10 years of mapping experience using GIS and ESRI Desktop software and mapping tools;
· Strong cartographic/data management, connectivity and query understanding;
· 5+ years’ experience managing tasks and project teams;
· Previous experience with engineering, utility and water/wastewater, preferred;
· Proficiency in the use of ESRI ArcMap, ArcToolbox, Model Builder, Crystal Reports, Bentley Microstation (familiarity), Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Access);
· Skill in the use of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCad, Google Maps API, recommended.
TO APPLY, interested applicants should submit a past project work list in addition to a resume to: Shelley A. Krivich, Technical Staff Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. prides ourselves on providing quality services to our clients, while striving to exceed our client’s expectations on every project. A career at Milhouse will offer you the opportunity to be a part of a growing team. In addition, Milhouse strives to exceed our employees’ expectations by providing work-life balance in a diverse and multi-cultural environment. For the eighth consecutive year, Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. has been selected as Chicago’s 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work For.
Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to the top